Accessibility View Close toolbar

Holiday Hazards for Pets

Holiday Hazards for Pets

The holiday season is a time that extra precautions need to taken to avoid potential dangers for our pets. These dangers include, but are not limited to the following:

1

Desiccant Gel Packs

They are found in shoe boxes, electronics, medication bottles, and some foods.
Ingestion produces mild vomiting and diarrhea.

Christmas Tree Preservative

The sugar in the mixture entices pets to drink the liquid.
Ingestion rarely causes severe symptoms, but may produce mild vomiting and diarrhea.
The signs are more severe when the liquid is contaminated with bacteria or fungi.

Christmas Trees

Ingestion of the needles may cause vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain and depression.

Poinsettia

Eating large amount of the plant will cause mild vomiting.

Holly

All parts of the plant are toxic.
Eating the plant causes vomiting, diarrhea and depression.

Mistletoe

Ingestion of just a few leaves or berries produces a mild upset stomach.
Eating a large amount causes more severe vomiting, diarrhea and heart issues.

Lily

Easter lilies, Tiger lilies, Day lilies, Asian lilies, Japanese Snow, and others
Chewing on a single leaf can lead to kidney failure.
Consider all exposures as potentially life-threatening.

Ethanol

Small dogs and cats are more sensitive to ethanol than humans.
Pets are attracted to mixed drinks containing milk, cream, or ice cream.
Ethanol is rapidly absorbed and can cause signs within 30-60 minutes after ingestion.
Clinical signs include vomiting, ataxia and disorientation.
Large amounts lead to coma, seizures and even death.

Chocolate

Toxicity causes hyperactivity, increased heart rate, tremors and potential death.
The amount of toxin present in chocolate depends on the type.
The more bitter the chocolate, the more toxic.
Unsweetened baking chocolate contains 6 times more toxins than milk chocolate.
White chocolate contains small amounts of toxins.

Ribbon, Tinsel and String

Puppies and kittens are attracted to these items.
When swallowed, the body tries to move the string or ribbon through the intestine. The intestine tends to "bunch up" along the linear object. The constant movement of the intestine produces a "sawing" action. This eventually leads to perforation of the bowel.
This is a life-threatening condition possibly requiring surgery.

Electrical Cords

Puppies and kittens are tempted to play with and chew on electrical cords.
When a pet bites through an electrical cord, severe burns to the tongue and mouth may occur.
Damage to the area around the heart can also occur causing the pet’s lung to fill with fluid. This leads to difficulty in breathing.
These are emergency situations requiring immediate veterinary attention.

Miscellaneous

Some other potentially toxic or dangerous items to keep away from your pets include:

Onions Ornaments
Macadamia nuts Batteries
Rising bread dough Potpourris
Grapes and raisins Medications
Tobacco Anti-freeze
Xylitol (found in sugar-free gum) Ice melting products
Bones Rodent poisons
Candles tress of having visitors

www.hcphes.org

Location

Office Hours

Monday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Thursday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Friday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed